Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Put Your $ Where Your Mouth Is

This is a really great website--First Book. Check it out at http://blog.firstbook.org/
First Book is a nonprofit organization with a single mission: to give children from low-income families the opportunity to read and own their first new books. First Book has provided more than 50 million new books to children in need in thousands of communities nationwide.

I personally contribute to RIF (Reading is Fundamental) every year. Ever since my first daughter was born, as one of her Christmas gifts, a monetary donation is made in her name to RIF. Now that I have 2 daughters, contributions are made in both their names every Christmas.

I think it is important as teachers that we make at least one donation every year to an organization that helps educate children. After all, as teachers, shouldn't some of our charitable donations be directed towards education and children?!

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Taran,

Look at my blog!

This is so amazing. I had not even seen your blog. Did you post before or after me?

If we both posted at the same time, how interesting!

Thanks for these links!

Taran said...

No, Dr. Luongo, I used your link in your blog and posted in mine, just so people could see what I was referring to! (Plus it adds credibility to my blog to have a couple links!)