Sunday, October 12, 2008

7 Ways to Reinforce Spelling

I watched the "7 Ways to Reinforce Spelling in your Classroom" video on Teachnology and I liked all of the tips given. Although most tips were activities that most teachers use already, I found one particularly refreshing. One rule referred to what steps a student should take if s/he is having difficulty with a word. First step, try to sound it out. Second step, look up in dictionary or around the room to see if it is posted anywhere. Third step, ask a friend. Fourth step, ask teacher. I like this progression because it teaches kids responsibility, to rely on themselves first. However, it also teaches team building and collaboration by having fellow students help out when needed. Good idea!

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Taran,

Thanks for your comments. I also used to use a strategy called "Three Before Me" where the students needed to ask three students or aide) before they came to the teacher.

Hope all is well!

Marianne said...

Great observation Taran. I forgot about that one. This is a good tip and it's student centered. You can't argue that fact. Thanks!