Friday, October 3, 2008

Critique of Article for Differentiated Reading Instruction

I thought that this article was helpful. It obviously makes sense to differentiate reading instruction because children learn to read at varying levels. I liked the idea of using online reading guide sites to help with lesson planning for the various levels of readers contained within the class. I especially liked the idea of being able to print your own books and select the topics that are relevant to your class. For example, if teaching students about American Indians during Social Studies, it would be fitting to read them a story about American Indians during Reading time. One downside though, I tried to get on the various websites that were listed in this article and I could only access them if I paid the yearly fee. Since I am currently not a teacher, I was not going to pay the fee. However, I would have really loved to navigate through some of the websites to see for myself what they have available.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

Excellent feedback on this piece of writing. This article does bring up many relevant points.

And, yes, some sites require fees but, honestly, there are other free sites out there you can use just as effectively.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Taran!