Friday, October 17, 2008

Crazy Professor Reading Video

This video, in my opinion, is a lesson in what NOT to do when teaching children to read. I just thought that the activity was too chaotic and too loud for any real comprehension to actually take place. I would have liked to see the teacher ask the students questions about what they just read. I can't imagine that the majority of them really grasped what they just read with all of the noise and activity going on. It would have been interesting to have hard data about this method. Does it actually work?

I think that this video is proof that you can put anything on the Internet. However, as a teacher you must use discrimination. Just because the video is there on the Internet, doesn't mean that you should actually follow it as a good example. I wouldn't use this method when I become a teacher.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Sometimes things that bother us as teachers when monitoring a class activity, does not effect your students the same. I find this to be the case in the Crazy Professor Reading video. To us it may seem like a lot of noise and confusion, but there are some very good things happening here. The children are reading out loud to each other, taking turns, reading expressively, listening to each other and learning from each other. They are asking questions of each other and discussing as they read each page for better comprehension. This activity is done in pairs (sharing as they go along). I think the strategy is a good one.

However, I would think that the class would come together as a group afterwards for a discussion and assessment of their comprehension, using critical thinking skills prompted by the teacher (a Q & A follow up) and a follow up writing lesson. Sort of like Think, Pair, Share from Chapter 7 in our text.

I believe this activity shown, was just one way of utilizing an effect reading strategy as part of a lesson. It shows differentiated learning through multi-intelligences. The students didn't seem distracted and it seemed as though they enjoyed the lesson. It was presented as a game and was fun for the students. They were engaged and I would think they were paired up to support the struggling student with a student of a higher ability. Peer learning is a powerful strategy. I found it to be a positive reading technique in many ways.