Monday, March 9, 2009

So Easy, A Child Could Do It...

I had the opportunity to play around with creating my own class webpage at Scholastic Web Page Builder and it was so easy. Quite frankly, it was simple, the directions were straightforward, and it took minimal time. Obviously, when doing this for a real class, you would need to spend time updating it and keeping it fresh, but really, it pales in comparison to creating a WebQuest. When I worked in corporate America, I was responsible for building and maintaining an Intranet site for HR and the class webpage, although not as detailed or involved, is very similar to this. As a teacher, I think to ensure that the students are using the class webpage is to make it mandatory for them to check it at least once a week or post their homework there, or give them a "preview" of what "tomorrow's" class will be about, etc. Also, to get them really involved, you could even have a section that they take turns maintaining and creating...like a little class newspaper.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hi Taran! I've got to say, you are so right about builing the web page being MUCH easier than the WebQuest! I'm obviously not over the top with my computer literacy...I think you should change the title of your blog to "So easy, Megan Can Do It" haha. Also, great idea with giving the students an idea wo update the news on the page! I hope you don't miss corporate America too much because you are going to make a great teacher!