Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Learning Page website

The "Learning Page" website listed at the Library of Congress is a great resource for teachers. You can access it via http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/lessons/fw.html or http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/lessons/index.html. I thought that the page with the lesson plans was well organized, easy to use, extremely informative, and contained very creative lesson plans.

This website actually made me jealous of today's students. As a High School student in the 1980's, I always felt that my history teachers made history (such a rich and exciting subject) so boring. I would have loved to have really immersed myself in the culture of the time period being studied by researching fashion, women's roles, kids' responsibilities, slave relationships with slaveowners, etc. Since these type of topics were not taught in any depth or detail, if I or my teachers had access to the Internet in the 80's, I would have loved to have either been taught about these topics by my teachers or researched these areas myself. This website, provides a lot of that type of information that would really motivate students to learn more about subjects. Great resource!

No comments: