Friday, April 3, 2009

Social Networking Tips

It's such a different world from when I grew up. I didn't have to worry about my information being so "public" and "worldwide". During my generation, (I'm 39) if a person did tell something and it did "get out", usually it was confined to the town the person lived in. There was no threat of it being "broadcast" worldwide! I think the one and only tip that people (and children) should follow when networking on the computer is this: "Don't post anything that you would be ashamed of to show your parents and/or a potential employer". Following this one rule should keep safe and prohibit them from making bad decisions.

5 comments:

mmdspc said...

Congratulations on your news - Taran!
Anyway - I agree with you totally. I am a few years older than you and you are so correct - our generation never had to worry about the whole world knowing our business - whenever something happened it remained in your town or with your own circle of friends - now your town and your friends are based on who you are friends with through social networking. We must be careful what we post - Taran is right - kids should remember if you do not want your mom to see it - don't post it!

Dr. Luongo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Luongo said...

Agreed.

As I always tell future teachers, if you cannot sit down with a superintendent and show him or her your page, you should not have it.

Thanks!

Christina said...

So true! My mom tells me stories from when she grew up and I always think why can't it be so easy now in this generation. Once a "secret" is out, it's out for the world to know about it. It's very scary and you cannot trust anyone, it's so sad what it has become and awful that children are being picked on the way they are and being bullied online, which leads to terrible endings. Kids can be cruel and their acess to the computer has made it easier for them to embarrass others in more public ways.

tmccloskey10 said...

This is a great point Taran. I think it is very important that people are careful about the information they post. It seems that anything can be found on the internet these days. Every year there is a new way to post things, whether it's myspace or facebook. The opportunities to network yourself are great, but you don't want to get yourself into trouble by putting too much information out there.