Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"Introducing the Book" video

Oh my God, this video was so funny! It got me to thinking...As crazy as this seems, generations before us, did have to learn to use the "book" or adjust to this new technology, whereas, if you were born into an era that already had the "book" deeply embedded into its society, you just knew how to use it---there was no "adjustment" or "discovery" period. Same holds true today. Some of us had to learn from "help desk professionals" or "trainers" how to use the PC, however, kids nowadays just "pick it up". I can honestly say that I spent maybe 15 minutes or less teaching my kids how to use the computer, the rest, they just "picked up" or learned on their own. My 8 year old taught herself how to email, change backgrounds, post pictures from my gallery, use icons, change the arrow or pointer, use templates, create cards, print, and the list is goes on! She even taught me a few things--like changing the stationery setting on email and changing my cursor from an arrow to a comet! And I've been using a computer for at least 15 years! Go figure! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?!

5 comments:

latinaone said...

I know exactly what you are saying in relations to your daughter and her use of the computer! I have a 3 yrs old grandson that I open the computer to the Dora's or Go Diego's web site and he can actually sit there and follow their computer "games" such as to find the color red and click on it, or which of the 3 cars is different and all sorts of learning activities. He can also play the bowling game online! and he is only 3 yrs old! So as you say on your blog the next thing will be that instead of us teaching babies how to say mama or dada they will come out with a cell phone on one hand and an ipod on the other , hehehe

Dr. Luongo said...

Taran,

I love using this video when I teach seminars and workshops on technology because it gets the teachers and administrators laughing. Yet, they can relate. I think we have all thought-- will I lose my "page" if I turn off the computer/book!

As always, a super and timely posting!

Megan said...

Haha...I agree, I also found this video humorous. My mom recently got a new job and must use a computer, but before that, literally did not know how to turn one on. This video reminded me of trying to teach her to do very simple things prior to the job.

Najet Gharsallaoui said...

I also find it very funny to the point that I didn't figure out what the guy couldn't have access to! I didn't know at the beginning that he was serious about his attempt to have access to the book. Compared to what we try to have access to nowadays with the latest technology that com out every single day, trying to access to a book, seems to be a joke:-)

Sharese's Space for Speaking said...

I can definitely relate. I also loved the introducing the book video. I agree with you about how easily our children adapt to technology. It literally takes them an instant to grasp concepts that take us days, weeks, months or years. My son is 3 - he can turn on the computer, login into noggin and surf the site to play the games, listen to the radio and watch various videos. They are amazing little people.